Hi, in this article, I am going to explain about DNS Name Resolution problem to IP Address. In LAN network environment, we have frequently experienced this Name Resolution problem with ip address.
The following scenarios are we face in day to day life.
- Ping Remote Machine by IP Address but can not by Computer Name
- Access Remote Share by IP Address in Share Path but can not by Server Name
- Access Remote Web URL by IP Address in URL but can not by Machine Name
- Connect Remote Desktop by IP Address in but can not by Machine Name
The possible causes for these problems are:
Solution 1: Check your Computer is correct or not for IP AddressYou can check the machine name is correct for corresponding ip address by using the following command.
ping -a 192.168.56.102After running this command, you could see the computer name in Ping results.
Solution 2: Flush and Reset a client resolver cache and Renew DNS client registrationFlush and Reset a client resolver cache using following ipconfig command
ipconfig /flushdnsRefer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781949(v=ws.10).aspx
Renew DNS client registration using this ipconfig command
ipconfig /registerdnsRefer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780467(v=ws.10).aspx
Solution 3: Edit DNS Lookup Host file entryYou can add entry in DNS Host file to create mapping between IP Address and Computer Name or Machine Name.
1. Go to file location: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
2. Copy the hosts file and paste it in your desktop.
3. Open the host file in notepad and add entry for the Machine Name and IP Address which you want to resolve and save the file.