Monday, 29 December 2014

Group Policy Fix : Add operation failed. Unable to extract deployment information from the package.

Hi, I ran into this error below when trying to add a package to my Group Policy for Software Installation:
Add operation failed.  Unable to extract deployment information from the package.  Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct.
Then I started to analyze through event log and found the error event 103 with below message:
Event ID:      103
Description:   Software Installation failed to deploy package MySoftwareSetup.msi.  The following error was encountered: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.
From these two inputs, I have started my analyze work and most of solutions are suggested, it could be a permission issue on the Group Policy Template object.

Fix/Solution: Add operation failed. Unable to extract deployment information from the package

Browse the Sysvol directory (\\domainname\Sysvol\) from Start\Run. then you will get below error message. .
\\mydomain.local\Sysvol is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.
If you got this error message, you are facing the same problem that I faced. Then try to browse the Sysvol directory by Domain Controller name or FQDN (\\DC1\Sysvol\) instead of domain name from Start\Run. now you can access the sysvol without any problem, so the ultimate cause for this issue is Name Resolution/Network Connectivity problem. The root cause of the Name Resolution will differs for every environment.

In my environment, I have fixed the Name Resolution issue by following below steps:

- Checked Name Resolution by Ping command (Ping YourDomain.local)
- Ping result shows, it is trying to connect wrong IP address instead of IP of current DC, and ensured the wrong IP address is nothing but the IP of my another DC which is not active.

Finally, I have confirmed this is the root cause for my problem, the IP address of inactive DC is cached in DNS entries for the domain name, Now, I started that DC and confirmed everything is working fine now.

Note: Name Resolution/Network Connectivity problem is generic DNS problem, so please try to resolve DNS cache issue as per your own need.

Advertisements
Advertisements

No comments:

Post a Comment